Monday, May 5, 2014

Adidas Stan Smith Review and How to get your hands on a pair


So for you those of you who don't know about the Adidas Stan Smith craze, then let me enlighten you here. From being THE ultimate tennis shoe to the Parisian Woman's closet staple, the Stan Smith frenzy is at an all time high in the fashion world as well as the sneaker world. While I can't imagine hitting up the court in them, I do see myself doing virtually everything else in them. They remind me of a great pair of French Connection oxfords that I own that look classic, minimalist, and modern with a touch of tomboyish cool. They are also a hit in Shanghai where Adidas Originals are extremely popular and widely prevalent. Are you sold yet? Now the more important question is- where to buy them if you are woman with a shoe size smaller than 10?

Fit and Sizing 
This was the trickiest for me. Like all the Adidas originals, the shoes are uni-sexual but the sizing are in men's.  I had a similar problem when buying my Adidas superstar 2.0 (another classic, love them) and it depends on the shoe. The Adidas website tells you to size down 1 size for women's, and that is do-able for the Stan smith's because they are a slimmer shoe, though if you can, try to get a size 1.5 smaller (for wider feet, stick to 1 size down). I'm a size 8 in women's and my size 7 Stans were a little loose on me, I had to lace up to the highest eyelet which covers up the tongue of the sneaker. For a wider shoe like the superstar 2.0, sizing down 2 sizes is completely appropriate.



Where to Buy

1. Adidas.com After Adidas re-released them in January, they have been more or less consistently sold out at adidas.com, HOWEVER, they do restock them every couple of months, so try to check the site occasionally for any updated inventory. If you happen to stop by a store, it's worth it to go in and check but heads up, I live in NYC and all 3 stores downtown I visited informed me the smallest size they carried was 9.

2. Jcrew.com, If you didn't know, J. Crew has a large inventory of other brands in their men's shoe department and they have one of the largest size selections out there, however they also tend to get sold out fairly quickly and you will have to check periodically to see if they've restocked. I purchased my pair from here.

3. Ebay.com, Ebay always have Stan Smith's in stock, however if you are looking for a pair in a lucrative size 6-7 then be prepared to pay at least 15-20% more. Also steer clear of Hong Kong sellers as they are more liable to be counterfeits

*Nordstrom's, Farfetch, and Footlocker also carry them, however, I've never seen anything lower than a size 8 in stock regularly

Conclusion
I've only worn mine for a couple of weeks and they're pretty comfortable, the soles are pretty flat so if you need arch support then I recommend an insert. Another thing to note is that the shoe does crease, for those who are shoe perfectionists. To sum it up, If you happen to come across them in your size, then definitely snatch them up. However, unless you're a diehard fashionista, there's no need to be paying designer prices for them. To get the same clean look, try the Adidas superstar 2.0 in all white or any of the white sneakers from Lacoste like the Mineria (my favorite is the evershot!).

3 comments:

  1. Adidas Stan Smith Review and How to get your hands on a pair. So for you those of you who don't know about the Adidas Stan Smith craze, ... adstansmith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now im wearing nmd uk5 so what size should i wear in stan smith?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanno indossate senza calzini da come si vede spesso nelle foto

    ReplyDelete